Philadelphia Phillies Top 10 Prospects

Moderator: Our very own one and only Will Kimmey will begin taking your questions at 2 p.m. ET

Q:  Snapper Bean from Greater Kensington asks:
Given the loss of draft picks and the inability to sign Jordan Parraz, Myron Leslie, Rob Johnson and Steve Doetsch, I think it is becoming accepted that the Phillies had a pretty lousy draft last year. Are the Phillies giving any indications that this year's draft might be anything different?
 A: 

Will Kimmey: Thanks for stopping by. I'll go through as many questions as I have time for before 3 pm. Then it's back to writing up my Diamondbacks Top 30.

Will Kimmey: Parraz will be a strong draft-and-follow candidates, so don't count him out yet. Johnson transferred to Houston, so the Phillies have lost his rights. In the 2003 draft, the Phils wanted catchers and speed, two areas of need in their system. I think 8-9 catchers were drafted before their 1st pick, so the speed contingent was the highest-rated on the board. Overall it wasn't a great draft, but watch Kyle Kendrick, who has been compared to Jason Schmidt, become the best player picked by the Phils. Also, let's remember that's it is hard to have a draft that stacks up well against a team like the Indians, who had four picks before the Phils made one. There's no reason to think the 04 draft will fall shy because, depending on what free agents the Phils sign, they'll have a first and second round pick.

Q:  Dan from Manayunk asks:
Given the choice between Hamels and Kazmir who do you choose?
 A: 

Will Kimmey: I'll buck the trend and take Hamels, if only because he has more size. It's really close, just as it was heading into the 2001 draft, from a talent standpoint. Hamels' arm injury caused some worry for some clubs, but everything's gone fine for him since.

Terry Jones had somewhat disappointing numbers in Lakewood this year yet still appears ranked ahead of Jake Blalock and Kiel Fisher on the prospect list. Is it a tools based evaluation or is Terry given credit for playing in a very weak lineup and in an extreme pitchers park?
 A: 

Will Kimmey: I know you've read our little intro for these lists, which state they combine performance, tools and ceiling. Fisher and Jones are the same age, and while Fisher beat up on younger players, Jones did hold his own in a full-season league. A .192 start queered his over numbers, and he hit .261-9-42 with 15 doubles from May-July. He's also the best defender in the system. Fisher actually ranks just two spots below Jones, however, at No. 12, so the difference isn't as much as you'd think. Blalock doesn't play third anymore and struggled making contact in SS Batavia. He's got the raw power, but his swing is just too long for now. He must show he can use that power in game action.

RHP Zack Segovia struggled through an injury filled disappointing season. Is he fully recovered and do you suspect he'll repeat Low A next year at Lakewood?
 A: 

Will Kimmey: Segovia debuted at No. 10 on this list a year ago, and showed signs of rising up a few spots with a solid showing in spring training. He came down with a tender elbow a few starts into his first full season, but didn't tell anyone and tried to continue competing anyway. The Phillies knew something was wrong when his velocity, normally 92-93 mph, dipped into the mid- to upper-80s. Zegovia eventually went on the disabled list, rest his arm, tried to rehab it, saw several doctors and had a few MRIs. But he never got an answer as to what was causing his pain, and still hasn't found one. It was the first arm problem Segovia had ever experienced, and it has left him and the organization both puzzled and frustrated. He lost a year of development already, and if some diagnosis comes that requires surgery, he stands to miss a significant portion of 2004 as well.

Q:  Joe from Deptford asks:
How do Jake Blalock and Kyle Fisher compare to Terry Jones and Juan Richardson? Is Brad Baisley Done? Are Bud Smith and Josh Hancock still considered prospects?
 A: 

Will Kimmey: Richardson is the most advanced of the group and has power to the light towers. A sprained ankle ended his season in June or he would have likely led the EL in homers and pushed for a spot in Philly in 04. The other three I just discussed above. Baisley just can't stay healthy, and has to do that before he gets any consideration for a future or status on a prospect list. Smith never has been right since reporting to camp out of shape in 2002. It's tough to say what his future holds, or if that no-no in 01 is all we'll really see of him. Hancock still has a chance at a major league career. He's in the mix for the No. 5 spot in the Philly rotation, but odds are he heads back to SWB or ends up in the pen. It's as much a testament to the Phils' rotation than a knock on Hancock. He could be nice trade bait as a No. 4-5 starter who throws strikes. A lower division team couldn't go wrong taking that chance.

Q:  Kruker from Philly asks:
Will, are Gavin Floyd's strikeout numbers considered artificially low because of the Phillies demands that he not rely too much on his curve?
 A: 

Will Kimmey: They are a little puzzling given his repertoire. Maybe that was an excuse in 2002, when he was honing the change, but he wasn't really limited in what he could throw in 03. He was at one per inning early on at Clearwater, then the K rate went down some late in the year. Still, 100 in 116 IP isn't anything to laugh at, but not the dominant stuff you saw from Hamels or Greg Miller.

Q:  Gavin from Reading asks:
Will did I fall in the Baseball America rankings because I had a season less than expected or did Cole just outperform me?
 A: 

Will Kimmey: I assume you're trying to ape Gavin Floyd here, something I find annoying in chats, but a good question nonetheless. Hamels outperformed and gets the nod by the slimmest of margins. Being lefthanded has something to do with it, as do those K rates discussed above. Most Phillies officials didn't want to pick just one guy, but put against the wall to take one player with them to another org, all took Hamels.

Q:  Joe from Philly asks:
Who do you think will make the majors first? Hamels or Floyd? And was Taylor Buchholz the real deal?
 A: 

Will Kimmey: Neither Hamels or Floyd will be rushed, and they might make it to Philly around the same time. For now, Floyd will begin 2004 in Reading, with Hamels in Clearwater. The PHils have the major league depth to get each of them time at Triple-A before hitting the majors, so there's no rush for now and the earliest you'll see Floyd would be 2005, and more likely 2006 for them both. Buchholz was the No. 3 on this list, so yes. But he wasn't quite in the class with the other two pitchers. He should be solid for the Astros but is probably more a No. 3 starter long term.

What are the Phillies saying about Anderson Machado? He had a bizarre stat line last year with a sub-Mendoza average but .400 OBP.
 A: 

Will Kimmey: He's always been a great defender and has shown the ability to walk. He had a rough year with personal problems that took him out of the country for a week. He goes to Triple-A in 04 with a reworked swing that will emphasize keeping the ball on the ground more to use his speed. He still has a chance as a major league regular, but a utility slot might be more likely at this point unless he really improves his offense.

Q:  Squire from www.philliesphans.com asks:
Do you think that the performance of Ryan Madson in the recent Olympic qualifiers makes him the likely front runner for the 5th spot in the Phillies rotation?
 A: 

Will Kimmey: Absolutely. He's a tough guy who throws strikes, and while he doesn't overpower, his changeup is a fine outpitch. He's a guy that could be a back of the rotation starter in the majors for a while. Never a big star, but a nice guy to have in the rotation.

Q:  Stray from Detroit Michigan asks:
Elizard Ramirez. He's rated lower this season than last on the Phillies top 10. Is he still have a chance to be a big leaguer starter, and if so would he happen to see a call up in 2004 or 2005? I think with all the comparisons to Pedro he's got a shot, but would love for you to elaborate more on the E-Lizard!!!! STRAY
 A: 

Will Kimmey: He's actually one spot higher this year. Eight is better than Nine as far as rankings. He can be a big leaguer. The Pedro comparisons are for control and his body type, not his fastball or ceiling. Ramirez is a soft-tossing control guy who pounds the strike zone. He's two years from Philly and can fit a Ryan Madson type role once there.

Q:  Brandon from Philly asks:
Any thoughts on Scott Mathieson, Kiel Fisher, and Jake Blalock? I thought one of these guys would easily have beaten Michael Bourn out to get on the list.
 A: 

Will Kimmey: We've talked about Fisher and Blalock already, so I'll go with Mathieson, who could turn out as a nice steal from 2002. He played on Team Canada with Adam Loewen and Jeff Francis, and threw really well in exhibitions against the Braves and Astros GCL clubs that year. He's a big kid who's still finding his mechanics and feel, but like Kyle Kendrick, could really come on bring some mid-90s heat and a power curve. I thought hard about putting Mathieson and Kendrick near the top 10 (they are in the top 20), but it's hard to put pitchers with no full-season innings and some ugly numbers thus far that high so soon. A good season should put each there this time next year.

Q:  Squire from www.philliesphans.com asks:
For over a year the Phillies have been publicly discussing their weakness at the catcher position in the minor leagues. However, in the draft the Phillies didn't pick a catcher until the 14th round (Jose Cortez) and then couldn't reach a deal with 18th round pick (Rob Johnson). Isn't this a serious problem?
 A: 

Will Kimmey: It's not so serious because of Lieberthal's presence. It's not like the Padres, with no catchers in the majors and few prospects below. The Phillies do need catchers in the minors so the ball won't hit the backstop everytime, and I think you'll see them grab one this year. But they don't want to overdraft one either. I talked about their 2003 draft plan this year, as the catchers they liked didn't fall to them. They also have the money and prospects to get a major league catcher if Lieberthal gets hurt.

Q:  dave from NYC asks:
The Phils had a terrible draft this year. How much was due to losing the first two picks as opposed to a focus on a single tool as opposed to a smaller signing budget after signing Burrell, Abreu, Thome, Bell and trading for Millwood. Thanks, Dave
 A: 

Will Kimmey: Losing picks atop a draft just kills as far as getting top talent. A lot of people also questioned the need for three guys whose best tool was speed because many similar players have flamed out through the years. Also, when you realized that the Phils have forfeited five of their 12 picks in the first three rounds over the last four drafts, you have to give them credit because of the quality of the prospects in the system. The quantity has been depleted through trades, but that's one means of using a farm system to augment the big league club).

Q:  whadayamean? from Phillydom asks:
What prospects (new or old) are the Phillies willing to trade in their discussions with the DBacks for Shilling and Expos for Vasquez?
 A: 

Will Kimmey: I'd say Ryan Howard would be a good starting point, especially for the Expos. And maybe a Josh Hancock or Ryan Madson along with a nearly ready infield in Anderson Machado could be a nice package.

Q:  Dave from Maryland asks:
If Gavin Floyd has a very good at AA Reading could he receive a September callup?
 A: 

Will Kimmey: Maybe, but less than 20 percent because there isn't a need to rush him. But a lot could change with injuries, and as you said, a really good year in Reading. Still I don't see it, especially with 40-man concerns, as Floyd doesn't have to go on this year.

Q:  JE from Virginia asks:
Why Juan Richardson and Terry Jones, but not Kiel Fisher in the Phillies Top 10 Phillies Prospect list?
 A: 

Will Kimmey: There are only 10 spots. I had all those 3b pretty close, with Travis Chapman in there as well. It just looks like someone was left off when you only get to see 10 of the 30 if you don't have a prospect handbook.

Who does Cole Hamels compared to?
 A: 

Will Kimmey: You have your stock Tom Glavine comp for a LHP with a good changeup and control. But Hamels throws harder and could potentially have a better, more powerful breaking pitch. But it's not really a good matchup and I'm sick of Glavine being a comparison to every LHP. Can anyone think of a lefty who throws like this? Odalis Perez maybe.

Q:  BANDPOFIT from BANNED FROM ARROGANT SOSH asks:
THERE WERE RUMORS THAT THE PHILLS WANTED TO ROLLINS, HOW TRUE WERE THE RUMORS AND WHO WOULD HAVE BEEN THE NEW SS OF THE FUTURE?
 A: 

Will Kimmey: I think they might have soured on him a little because he won't buy in to being a leadoff guy and wants to hit the ball in the air. Any deals with Rollins likely hang on the Phillies signing Miguel Tejada. Anything else and they'd be getting a downgrade most likely because Rollins is still a great defender and isn't awful with the stick.

Q:  Mike from Hershey, PA asks:
What's the scoop on Clearwater shortstop Danny Gonzalez? His game and bat look solid across the board for a 21 year old. Has he passed Andy Machado on the depth chart to become the heir apparent to Jimmy Rollins down the line?
 A: 

Will Kimmey: Gonzalez plays hard and gets the most of out his body. He's not the most tools-laden guys, but his desire far surpasses guys like Machado and Carlos Rodriguez. His bat has been nice, but it might be tough for Gonzalez to hack it in the field. Plus he's a little short on power. Still a good citizen to have in the system who could surprise if he can keep improving.

Q:  JE from Virginia asks:
Did you have any indication from the Phillies how they rank Scott Mathieson in their overall list of prospects?
 A: 

Will Kimmey: If you've read to this point, you can tell I like Mathieson, and so do the Phils. Count him in the top 20.

Since the Phillies have the 21st pick in the June 2004 draft? Do they go after a high school pitcher or a high school hitter?
 A: 

Will Kimmey: Their preference has seemed to be grabbing lanky, projectable HS arms lately, but they probably just go with the best talent available. They normally have the budget to sign a player who slips, like Hamels in 02. And in 01, they grabbed Floyd right where he was projected.

Could Cole Hamels split time between A Clearwater and AA Reading?
 A: 

Will Kimmey: Certainly, given a fast start in Clearwater he could spend the second half in Reading, just as he split the 03 season between the Class A levels.

Q:  Q from Q-ville asks:
What do you see as the future of Travis Chapman?
 A: 

Will Kimmey: A corner infielder off the bench who can pinch hit. He plays and works hard, and is a good character guy but probably doesn't have the power for a starting corner infielder. Best case scenario, he could be an everyday 3b in the Joe Randa mold.

Q:  Sean from Princeton NJ asks:
Hello- I'm wondering if the Phillies have any young arms that are close to helping them out in the bullpen this year. I for one am tired of the over 30, RHP slider slingers who walk every other batter model they've collected the past two years. Thanks so much. -s
 A: 

Will Kimmey: No real power arms coming along, but Hancock, Seung Lee, Bobby Korecky, Geoff Geary, Eric Junge, Jeremy Wedel, Lee Gwaltney, Matt Squires could all gets chances out there in the next two years.

Q:  Ryan from New York asks:
Bryan Hansen struggled this whole season. Where do you think he'll start off next season and do you think he will do good there? Thanks
 A: 

Will Kimmey: If he gets promoted to Clearwater, those big FSL parks could really eat up a guy who struggled to get over the Medoza Line in the Sally or NYP League. This is a make or break for Hansen's career. For now, he's an organizational guy who likely gets some more time at Lakewood.

Q:  Mike from Orrville, OH asks:
Does Michael Bourn have enough on-base skills to be a top of the order hitter for the Phillies? Do you agree that has to be his ticket to the bigs, it doesn't look like he has much power?
 A: 

Will Kimmey: Judging from his college career and brief pro debut, he's not a straight hacker, which bodes well. He was injured most of his final year at Houston, with a bad wrist sapping his power. He's not going to get 20 jacks, but 8 could happen, with more gap power and quick feet to leg out some triples and steal some bags. I think the point of this year's Phillies draft was to find one quick leadoff guy out of the three they picked, sort of like how the Braves will just draft six HS arms and be glad when one is Kevin Millwood. It's a lottery ticket in a way.

Q:  Hank from Peoria, Illinois asks:
With many young hitters plate discipline is a major problem that prevents them from being succesful, however Andy Machado is the exact opposite. It seems that he couldn't get a hit this year without wishing upon a star. What is the consensus on him? Are people still high on him because of his eye and defense or have they given up on the fact of him as a hitter?
 A: 

Will Kimmey: He got wheels and a good glove, so the bat is the factor determining if he's a major leaguer or not. He worked to kill his uppercut this offseason and, if he can get the small-ball thing down, can stop riding those minor league buses.

Q:  Anti-Snapper from Growing as the chat progresses asks:
Will Snapper Bean have a record number of questions answered, or will we mortals be thrown a bone or two?
 A: 

Will Kimmey: Bone. Sorry, I don't always read who the questions are from and just answer based on what I determine to be a good cross-section of questions. Didn't mean to answer all of his, guess they just came up that way and he asked some good ones.

Q:  Blue chochi from Hammonton asks:
Do the phillies not try to sign hitting prospects out of the Dominica and Venezuela? Is it an allocation of resources to pitchers instead?
 A: 

Will Kimmey: Actually their Latin program is growing by the year, especially in Venezuela where they just signed a four-year development deal. I count a third of their top 30 as hailing from DR, PR, Venez, including Simon, Ramirez and Richardson in the top 10. Ezequiel Astacio was there too before the trade.

Q:  the fish from Trenton, NJ asks:
The phils didn't put out any news releases about their FIL- any news for us? Any lesser known guys impress?
 A: 

Will Kimmey: Time for the lightening round.

Will Kimmey: Va Tech second baseman Marc Tugwell, a gamer I really like, moved to catcher.

Q:  Gerry from Scranton asks:
How about Grant Karlsen as a prospect at catcher? Is he a bust or a legit prospect? And what about 3B prospect Welinson Baez?
 A: 

Will Kimmey: Baez is very intriguing, reminds them of young Juan Richardson

Q:  Tom Jacobsen from New Orleans asks:
A couple of pitchers who were highly regarded until recently are Vinny DeChristofaro and Rob Tejeda. What do think about their futures?
 A: 

Will Kimmey: Tejada made strides this year, especially with the consistency of his delivery and breaking ball.

Is keith Bucktrot comparable to anyone? Is his slider a major league pitch yet?
 A: 

Will Kimmey: He's a young guy with great stuff who took a while to gain his command, which he did this year. The slider is coming along, but is still inconsistent. It could be the best in the org by next year, though.

Q:  Blue Claws Forever from Lakewood, NJ asks:
In a previous answer you mentioned that Blalock needs to show that he can use his power in game situations. Didn't Blalock lead the NY-Penn League in extra base hits? I'm confused.
 A: 

Will Kimmey: Maybe what I should have said was that he must be able to show it's still there but not at the expense of all his other at-bats. He fanned once every three ABs, and the swing from the heels approach did net some bombs and gappers, but if you're Dave Kingman in the minors, you never make it to the majors.

Q:  Pete O from Newton, MA asks:
Will... I didn't see Chase Utley on the list...has he fallen considerably, or is he no longer eligible? Had he been considered eligible, where would he have ranked? Thanks!
 A: 

Will Kimmey: Gotta have less than 130 major league ABs or 50 IP to qualify. Utley didn't; he would have been No. 3.

Did Kendrick do that well in the FIL that you'd consider him close to the top 10? If so, what was it he did to improve his stock so dramatically- otherwise he was an athletic pitcher with an upper 80's fastball, which isn't a whole lot to get excited about.
 A: 

Will Kimmey: He's 88-92, and with better mechanics and muscle can reach the mid-90s. He's also made strides with the changeup and has a power overhand curve.

Q:  dave from NYC asks:
Where do the Phils stand with depth at SS. As discussed, Machado had bad year and Rodriguez was sent home with disciplinary problems but Gonzalez had a pretty good year. Thanks
 A: 

Will Kimmey: You answered your own question there, plus with Rollins in Philly, they won't need a new SS for 10 more years, unless they find an upgrade. So their depth is fine as down the road, either Machado or Gonzalez could fill in for 10 games or so if needed.

Q:  from asks:
How did Michael Bourn make the list with only 125 total pro at bats?
 A: 

Will Kimmey: Hamels made it with no IP last year and he turned out OK. Bourn was a little lower before, as Buchholz and Astacio were ahead before they were traded. There's nice prospects at the top, but there's a quicker drop off than in recent years.

Q:  Ed Wade Jr. from Citizen Bank Ballpark asks:
What other prospects do you think can get a deal with Arizona done to get Curt Schilling back? We got nothing but the Padilla Flotilla when we traded him to ARIZ.
 A: 

Will Kimmey: I don't think the Phils trade for Schlling because he wants two more years at a nice sum, and they've already got a lot of cash tied up in Thome, Bell, Wagner, Burrell, Abreu. They might pay a younger guy like say Vazquez, but won't risk an older Schilling.

Q:  Gerry from Scranton asks:
Carlos Rodriguez, is he still highly regarded or is he a bust?
 A: 

Will Kimmey: His attitude will make all the difference. His tools play, but he must be focused and show the desire to work to improve.

Q:  from asks:
How many of the Phillies Prospects have you personally seen?
 A: 

Will Kimmey: I got to see the SWB club quite a bit this year, and also Lakewood. Keep in mind that these rankings and thoughts are based on talking to development staff and scouts with the Phils and other organizations. We're responsible for synthesizing.

Q:  Jeffrey Zampanti from Kenosha, Wis. asks:
Hi Will ... Would you say Keith Bucktrot is one of the more intriguing prospects in this system? I would've loved to have seen him pitch in the AFL. It seems if this kid ever gets things straightened out, the stuff is already there.
 A: 

Will Kimmey: Certainly. He has the makings, just needs to show consistency

Q:  JP from Clearwater, FL asks:
As a longtime Baseball America subscriber, I'm wondering where we can we find your Phillies prospect rankings beyond the first 10? Thanks.
 A: 

Will Kimmey: The Prospect Handbook has 30 players for every organization. You can order it from the Store button.

Q:  Joel from Delaware asks:
Hey Will, Is the the Phillies farm system overrated? and Do you see Gavin orand Cole as being potentially #1 starters? Thanks!
 A: 

Will Kimmey: It's top heavy. I see two impact guys up top who are sure-fire, but no other guys who you can really guarantee as being the best at their positions in a few years. It's tough to rate a system with two of baseball's top 20 guys and maybe not another who cracks the top 150 or so. They're probaly middle of the road talent wise, but crippled by trades and the loss of draft picks.

Do you think that Hamels & Floyd are better at this stage than Myers was? Was Myers rated higher than Adam Eaton?
 A: 

Will Kimmey: Hamels is definitely more advanced than any of the group. Myers was ahead of Eaton, yes.

Q:  Blueclaw from Lakewood asks:
Who are a couple of sleeper prospects that haven't been discussed yet? I'll throw two names out -- Francisco Butto and Joe Wilson..
 A: 

Will Kimmey: Wilson is a nice lefty who throws hard with a nice breaing ball and could see a future as a short reliever. Butto's fastball, which tops out at 93 mph, and his breaking ball rate as average and can be a touch above at times. He succeeds with a good feel for pitching and solid command.

Q:  waldo from chicago asks:
With Thome in the way, where does that leave Ryan Howard? and what kind of numbers do you see him putting up in majors?
 A: 

Will Kimmey: On the trade block. He could be a decent power, but high strikeout guy. He needs to hurry up though because he's 24 now and still two steps from the majors. He should be in a Phillies deal this year.

Prospect or suspect?: Mark McRoberts
 A: 

Will Kimmey: Suspect. Lots of pop, not so much contact.

Q:  Brian Daniels from Birmingham Alabama asks:
how well do you think Mike Schmidt will do as a manager in Clearwater? What prospects will fill out the Lakewood Roster?
 A: 

Will Kimmey: It will be interesting because star players don't always make the best teachers because the game comes naturally to them. Clearwater could have Terry Jones and Hamels, along with Chris Roberson, a great athlete with intriguing tools roaming center.

Q:  Alex King from state College asks:
You already said Bucholz would have rated #3 but where would Astacio have rated?
 A: 

Will Kimmey: He was No. 8, if I remember right.

Q:  Shaun from Richmond, Va asks:
Hi Will- A couple quick hitters for you....Matt Squires-can he repeat his outstanding 2003 next year at Reading? ? And wow..Myers, Floyd, Hamels...the Phils sure have come a long way since the days of Pat Combs, Tyler Green, and Brad Brink.
 A: 

Will Kimmey: Squires and Bobby Korecky are each intriguing relievers who were mostly hitters in college. Both could find their way into 6th-8th inning roles in Philly. Squires a lefty specialist with a 89-91 mph fb, held lefties to a .194 average in 2003, and yielded a .175 average with runners in scoring position.

Q:  AndyB from Washington, DC asks:
What's your take on Alfredo Cabrera (Simon). Is he a future closer candidate?
 A: 

Will Kimmey: This is the last one, have to get back to work. For the future, it helps to include your name to get your question answered, and adversarial tones don't help much either.

Will Kimmey: Simon has the power stuff and makeup you like in the bullpen. Last year there was hope he could add a changeup and be a starter, but adding nearly 2 years to his age got the Phils to just let him keep dominating guys with his mid to upper 90s gas and a slider that should improve.

Will Kimmey: Thanks for all the interest, sorry I couldn't get to more. Mike Berardino will be here Wednesday with the Marlins.